Sunday, March 14, 2010

St. Pat's 5K - 20:56

Well, I was planning to do a 10 miler today.....but, the weather was crappy and I just wasn't feeling the treadmill. Soooo.....literally 30 minutes before registration ended, I decided to run the St. Patrick's Day 5K race in Bloomington. I changed out of my comfy Sunday rags and I sprinted out the door at a few minutes after 12:00...registration ended at 12:30....on a good day, it takes 35 minutes to get from my house to Bloomington. I arrived at the VFW and managed to find one illegal parking spot available.....after a mad dash into the VFW Hall I reached the registration booth with seconds to spare....whew. Unfortunately, I was too late to get a cool race shirt! :(

I've never ran this race, in fact, I didn't even know about it until a co-worker mentioned it to me on Thursday. It was a nice flat course and had a really good turnout. I finished in 20:56, which is a new 5K PR for me! I placed 45th out of around 596 (I was bib 638....not sure on the final count yet...I might have been the last runner to register...). I was 6th place in my age group....damn those speedy 30-34 year olds!!!

Overall, this was a fun race and I'm glad I decided to run it. I had been thinking about doing a speed race or two before the Illinois Half and this one was a great way to start the 2010 race season.

No comments:

Post a Comment