Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Post-flu 11

Hello fellow bloggies. It's been a while since we've last talked! I blame my busy schedule of kiddos, school, and work....oh and there's that flu thing. Last weekend it hit me bad. I was totally OUT Sat-Mon....didn't do a thing but lay down and hydrate (okay, I might have gotten some CoD in also). It was miserable. I finally made my way back to the gym on Tuesday. I knew I wasn't in running condition yet, so I just did 20 minutes on the elliptical machine and then had a decent chest workout. Overall....I felt pretty good. By Wednesday morning I was ready to get some miles in....and I had a new 7 mile PR (55:37; 7:57 ave pace)!! I beat last week's 7 mile PR (55:49; 7:59 ave pace)!!! Thanks Mr. flu!! I also had a great 40 minute tempo run (5.41 miles) on Thursday. I'm really starting to like the tempo runs - 3 minutes fast, 2 minutes at a slower pace. I followed Thursday's run with a really good back and lats workout. Then, I hit arms and shoulders really hard on Friday. Sooo....that leaves me to today!

Since I wasn't able to get a good long run in last weekend, I knew I had to get some miles in today....and it was around 37 degrees out, so great running conditions....until I started running and realized how windy it was. The wind sucked!! There was also a constant mist in the air that seemed to make everything wet. As if the weather conditions weren't enough, I just felt weak today. I was still able to get a decent 11 miles in, but it wasn't nearly as fast as I had hoped. I'm trying to convince myself that I'm still recovering. AND...a decent 11 is better than nuthin!!!

11 miles, 1:34:41, 8:36 average pace...check it out:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23023022

On a side note, I also wanted to give a quick update on my shoe situation. I'm sure my loyal bloggies recall how I was struggling with my replacement New Balance shoes. I've been getting some serious blisters because they appear to be more narrow in the toe than my previous NB shoes. I'm trying a few different things with them, including better socks, running w/out my orthotics, and of course, more Aquaphor. I'm still working on it, so we'll see what happens. I do want to mention how AWESOME the guys at Often Running in Normal, IL have been. I HIGHLY recommend Often Running if you are in the market for any running gear needs. I really hate being the high maintenance customer, but the guys at OR totally understand the issues that runners face. Often Running - check it out!
http://www.oftenrunning.com/ (website is under construction)

No comments:

Post a Comment