Sunday, January 10, 2010

Treadmill PR?....13.2 (1:49:56)

Okay, so I know there's some debate in the running community about whether you count training PRs as actual PRs. My thoughts....no, they don't officially count....but, YES, they totally count for bragging rights! :)

Yesterday I did 13.2 (an extra. .1...for the troops of course) at 1:49:56. It was a great run...I'm really liking my new hydration strategy. I still remember how sick and dehydrated I was after the Lewis and Clark half this past fall (1:51:31). The mixture of Gatorade and Clif Shot Bloks is very effective! Anyway....my 13.2 was on a treadmill....I'm sooo ready for better running weather. After last weekend's 12.2 miles someone asked me why I didn't just go for the full half marathon...well, the treadmill maker people decided that treadmills should only go up to 99 minute runs. Anyone that runs longer than 99 minutes on a treadmill must be insane, have already collapsed on the floor, or forgot to turn the thing off. So at the 99 minute mark I had to stop and reset it and then basically sprint the last 1.4 miles. It was inconvenient, but it still felt outstanding. I was pretty bored before I hit the halfway mark, but luckily there was a good basketball game on TV and I was able to do some people watching due to the continued 'New Year's Resolution' crowd.

One of my favorite (and probably a bit arrogant?) things to do during my long treadmill runs is to take note of the people that I outlast on the treadmill....in a way it keeps me motivated to see them steadily drop off as I keep going. It sort of makes me feel like I'm passing them in a race. Yes, maybe it is a bit arrogant and competitive, but have I told you how boring those long treadmill runs are?? I need all the help I can get to keep me moving....and to MAKE IT HAPPEN!

On a side note...I've been getting some mad blisters on my toes after switching to my New Balance 1064s. It's amazing how my running form is impacted by a few blisters...my stride completely changes, which of course, can lead to injury. Very frustrating....especially after hearing so many good things about the 1064s and since my 1063s had a minor defect after only 3 months. So, I pulled out the defective 1063s and did my long run with them....no blisters, no foot pain...no problem. Turns out that the 1064s must be a bit more narrow in the toe area than the 1063s. Not sure what I'm going to do....most likely I'll go back to the running shop and talk to the experts. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Took me a little while to figure out what PR was...haha! But I got it now! :) Congrats, and I think it still counts on a treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no phrases to appreciate this article ..... I'm really pleased with this article .... the person who designed this article was a big thank you man .. for giving with us.
    Treadmills India

    ReplyDelete