Sunday, January 3, 2010

Finish Strong

I finished off my excellent Christmas vacation with an awesome 12.1 miles on the treadmill yesterday. I was really hoping to get another outside run in, but when the windchill is in the negatives I tend to stay indoors.... The run felt GREAT!!! I finished in a half marathon PR pace - I definitely could have kept going. I also tried a new hydration/electrolyte strategy using some of my Christmas goodies. My momma-in-law gave me some Cliff Shot Bloks in my stocking (orange and black cherry). I popped one black cherry blok before my run, one at the 30 minute mark, 60 minute mark, and then I had another at around the 9 or 10 mile mark. I followed each blok with a few sips of Gatorade. Everything felt outstanding - no side ache, no stomach cramps, and no signs of dehydration. I'll definitely continue to keep this strategy up for long runs and maybe even some of my runs during the week.

I've really enjoyed the time away from work and even the time away from the gym this week. But, my body is telling me that it's time to get back into the routine.

2009 has been a year of transformation for me. I completed my first half marathon in the spring, tackled the hills of the Steamboat 15k, shaved 9 minutes off of my half marathon time at the Lewis and Clark race, shaved just under 7 minutes off of my PR 5k time, dropped over 100LBS(!!!!), dropped about 10-12 inches in pant size (size 40-42 to size 30), went from wearing 3XL/XXL shirts to smalls and mediums, and I had my first photo shoot (HA!!!)

I found myself again in 2009...I had been lost for a long time - It's nice to be back.

So, here's to strong 2010!!!!

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels
I look around for the friends that I used to turn to, to pull me through
Looking into their eyes I see them running too

-Jackson Browne

Running on, Running on Ginnis!

No comments:

Post a Comment