Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Illinois Half Marathon

Well, the Illinois Half Marathon is complete!!!...yet my knees and toes continue to BURN!!! I'm not gonna lie folks, this was by far the most challenging run/race I've ever completed - and I'm afraid my time shows the pain. 1:59:37....well beyond my PR and well beyond my target goal for this race. Stinkin knees....

Unfortunately, it wasn't just the knee that contributed to the poor time. I felt bad from the get go. Bad stomach cramps kicked in as soon as I started to run. Then at about mile 3.31 my knee bit it....hard. Luckily, I was able to run through it...or limp through it rather. I worked it out, but it was painful for the entire run. The stomach cramps went away until mile 12.5.....by that time my knee was screaming and my calves were cramping up. It was also friggin hot out there and there still weren't enough water stations!! Regardless....I FINISHED. I did beat my time from last year, but not by much....so I am happy about that!

Here's to never giving up, never quitting, and to MAKING IT HAPPEN!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog, Curt!
    Sorry to hear about the difficulties you had during the race. I agree about there not being enough stations...and at a couple in the beginning they ran out of water! Yikes.
    Great job finishing strong regardless of all the challenges, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they ran out of water at some of the stations!!! That's pretty crazy!!! The post-race setup could definitely use some work too. Hopefully they will continue to make improvements.

    I think I'm going to need to do another half this summer to make up for this one....if you know of any good ones let me know!! :)

    ReplyDelete