Sunday, April 18, 2010

Suck it Up and DRIVE ON

Today I reached a milestone in the p0st-cortisone knee recovery period. It's down to the wire on the Illinois half marathon training, so today was a pretty critical training day. I tried to run on Thursday, but made it to 5 miles and the knee had enough. I took Friday and Saturday off, icing and Aleve'ing. Today was the day. I decided I was just going to run until I couldn't handle the pain.

I picked a fairly flat route and set out to build my confidence for 1 MAY. I did the first 3 or so and felt decent, so I decided just to do the same loop again. By the time I reached the 6 mile mark the knee was definitely barking....but, I felt like I could endure the pain for a bit more. So....I drove on. Mile 7....feel the burn, suck it up.....mile 8....wanna quit, suck it up.....mile 9....good to go. 9 miles today....I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't easy and it certainly wasn't painfree. It wasn't fast either, but I learned a very valuable lesson. I can do 13.1....it's going to be painful and it's not going to be at PR pace. But, I can do it. You know what though?....it's NEVER been easy. I don't expect that to change. My knee hurts like a sunuva-you know what, but I'm not about to quit....even if I have to crawl across that damn finish line. Yeah, that's how I roll. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment